Gallery

Friday, November 28, 2014

Black dog...



Photographing in public places can be frustrating, especially when you are presented with a scene that you would rather record without a human element. Although most people are so engrossed in what they are doing to take any notice me, I swear that some deliberately waltz across the composition in an effort to: (a), either be in the photo, or (b), thwart my efforts. Of course, this is not likely true, nor is it my beach, but during my days of shooting on transparency film I lost count the number of times I waited (very) patiently for a location to clear of people before firing the shutter. Nowadays I only have to wait until they are small enough in the frame for them to fall victim to the clone tool in Photoshop during post processing.

But then there are times when something else is needed - either to add a focal point or a sense of scale - in a picture. Today was one of those times. The sky wasn't doing too much, and the sea was following suit, so I was rather pleased when I spied a man on the beach several hundred yards in front of me, repeatedly hurling a ball into the sea so that his dog could willingly retrieve it,

This was going to be the point of interest that I needed, but as soon as the pair drew close the man started throwing the ball along the beach so as not to encourage his dog into the water. Being the considerate sort of chap that he no doubt is, he obviously thought that his dog in the waves would ruin the scene I was trying photograph, when in fact it was just what I wanted. I did get one frame, though.



24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/250 second at f/11.  + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400



© 2014

No comments: