Gallery

Friday, September 26, 2008

Spot the pony...


Today, I decide to pay an early morning visit to the New Forest; my first visit for some months, as I tend to give the summer a miss - too may people around. Autumn colours there are now advanced, with the bracken and silver birch trees both beginning to give displays of golds, reds and browns, mixed in amongst the greens.
I made the decision to travel light, and only packed a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom lens for photographic purposes. This proved to be a mistake, though not a disasterous one. It's the first time I've used this lens to shoot images of ponies, and whilst it is capable of good results, and allows greater freedom of movement, it doesn't lend itself to being shot wide open. It needs stopping down to get the best from it. In other words, I prefer the shallow depth of field that my 300mm f/2.8 produces, giving the pictorial effect that I'm after. This, of course, is off-set by the considerable size and weight of the lens, but as we all (should) know: quality comes at a price.

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens. 1/750 sec at f/4. ISO 200.

© 2008

No comments: