Gallery

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Swanage Grand Steam Gala (day 3)...



Although not originally part of this weekend's schedule, I make a last miniute decision to visit the Purbeck based restored steam railway for some more images. This decision was influenced by yet again another poor weather forecast (I really should know better by now), and conditions turned out more favourable than I expected. Today, I shot up-line from yesterday's location, between Corfe Castle and Harmon's Cross, again using a long telephoto, and occasionally a x1.4 teleconverter. The first image, however, was shot with a moderate wide angle lens and shows Eddystone on the first run of the day. The second image is of 30053 - Drummond M7, which spent a number of years in the USA until 1987. I'm reliably corrected by track-side enthusiasts that it's not smoke that exits the chimney of railway engines, but exhaust, and this photograph shows the engine "clagging" (identified by the pillar of smoke...I think).

Top: Nikkor 18-35mm lens. 1/500 sec at f/8. ISO 250.
Below: Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 lens. 1/1000sec at f/3.2. ISO 125.


© 2008

No comments: