Gallery

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pikes' Tramway...


The 46 miles (74km) I cycled today was a repeat of the ground covered Tuesday, but this time the light was better so I shot some images.

Having crossed the entrance of Poole Harbour to Studland on the chain ferry I took the Rempstone trail and rode to Corfe Castle, via Bushey. From there I went to Norden and then on to Arne. I then retraced my path to the dismantled narrow gauge tramway that crosses Stoborough Heath, near Wareham, Dorset.

The photograph (facing north) shows all that remains of Pikes' Tramway, a 2ft 8½ inch gauge railway, one of three such systems in Purbeck, Dorset, that ran in this instance from Furzebrook to Ridge Wharf on the River Frome. The line, originally operated by gravity (with the empty wagons being returned by horses), employed seven steam locomotives during the commercial life of the Purbeck mineral and mining industry, one of which survives; the 0-6-0 "Secundus" dating from 1874 - and can currently be seen at The Corfe Goods Shed Museum.
The line was finally abandoned in 1957.


12-24 f/4 Nikkor. 1/200 second at f/11. ISO 400. 0.6 grey grad ND filter.

© 2009

2 comments:

Thomas Sheridan said...

Love this photo Richard. There are remains of old industrial and narrow gauge rail tracks like this all over Ireland. This is a superb photo.

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Thomas. Although I've known about these quarries and railways for a long time (I even remember when the last of them was still operational) it's only recently that I've made them the subject of my lens.
This will be an ongoing project.

RB