Gallery

Friday, June 26, 2009

Swanage Pier...


Overnight electrical storms and heavy rain eventually give way to clearing skies and sunshine by early afternoon, so to get the weekend off to a good start I head west - this time on my hybrid bike - to Swanage, Dorset.
Although not a great distance to cover (15 miles - 24km) there is one major factor to be taken into consideration, which is the hill that rises out of Studland village along the B3351 before it branches left between Ballard Down and Nine Barrow Down and falls away down to the coast; it's pretty steep in either direction and the lowest gear available is necessary when climbing.
Swanage Pier (photo) was temporarily deserted when I arrived and paid my 40p admission fee, and has a distinct feel of a bygone age not found in its neighbours along the coast of Bournemouth and Boscombe to the northeast. The Victorian structure has great photographic potential and I feel I will be able to do it better justice with the right light at a different time of year, rather than the snapshot posted here.

12-24 f/4 Nikkor. 1/50 second at f/11. +0.33 EV. ISO 320. CPL.

© 2009

No comments: