Gallery

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Old Harry Rocks...


I've spent the best part of this week cycling to the Isle of Purbeck, Dorset, for some photography - plus a bit of exploration: Today is no different.
Again, I negotiate the climb out of Studland, but this time it's harder than yesterday - I don't think I had fully recovered - but climb it I did. Just as before I take the left fork near the top of Dean Hill, but instead of repeating myself and carrying on to Swanage I make a spontaneous decision to climb higher still to the top of Ballard Down, 162 metres above sea level.

At the top I turn left at the obelisk that once stood in Lombard Street, London, and ride east towards Ballard Point and Old Harry Rocks (image). These chalk sea stacks form the eastern end of the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site, and are believed to have at one time formed part of a ridge that connected to The Needles, Isle of Wight - although I can find no firm evidence to support this.
Old Harry Rock itself (another name for the devil) is the stack furthest right in the photograph. Erosion will eventually make this fall into the sea (as have others in the past two hundred years or so), but new ones will be formed from the chalk islands as cave roofs collapse.

24-70 f/2.8 EX DG Sigma lens. 1/180 second at f/11. -0.33 EV. ISO 320. 0.9 grey graduated ND filter.

© 2009

No comments: