Gallery

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer Solstice and the English Countryside...


At my latitude the sun rose at 4:58am and to the northeast - as far north that it gets - hearalding the day with the maximum amount of daylight and the minimum amount of darkness: The Summer Solstice.
I set off early on my bike with the initial intention of just riding the seven miles to the Sandbanks peninsula, but once there I impulsively boarded the ferry and continued into the Purbeck hills.
As the weather was good I pushed on to Corfe Castle, making a number of images along the way, but even at the relatively early hour of 9:00am the sun had climbed so high that contrast was becoming unmanageable. The photograph, which shows the castle in the distance, was the last landscape image I made during the morning, at 9:10.
The ride home, via Ower Quay on the southern side of Poole Harbour, was somewhat longer that I intended, making it a round trip of 36 miles (58km).

24-70 f/2.8 EX-DG Sigma lens. 1/50 second at f/11. +0.33 EV. ISO 320. 0.6 grey graduated filter.

© 2009

No comments: