Gallery

Saturday, May 01, 2010

A bit like shooting fish in a barrel...


It's May Day Bank Holiday weekend in the UK, and the weather conforms to British standards: the threat of rain and dropping temperatures due to strengthening winds. Never to be deterred by what nature may throw at me on such occasions, I'm out with a camera and determined to make photographs, come what may.

As the winds have picked up over the past day or two I head for Sandbanks and Poole Harbour, intent on getting some action shots of water sports: after all, there's bound to be the usual kite and wind surfers in action on such a day...but no! Well, not exactly true, but those there practicing the art were less than spectacular, and in most cases pedestrian in their abilities. Obviously, beginner and intermediate skill levels on display.

I'm  considering heading to a different location when I spot someone feeding gulls and I start to photograph the attracted cloud of sea birds whirling overhead. A bit like shooting fish in a barrel, but we all like to back a winner occasionally. I still have the camera set up for fast action shooting and make a number of short bursts at 8 frames per second, usually at the peak of the action. Timing it this way greatly increases my success rate and I get a good percentage of useable images, one of which I include here (there are two more in my online gallery).

300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/6400 second at f/5. -0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400. Handheld.

© 2010

No comments: