Gallery

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Surprise arrival...

Out of bed at daybreak and appraising the coming dawn through the window, I decide to head to Poole Harbour, Dorset, and leave the house well before the sun rises. Again, conditions are near perfect, with clear skies and no wind. Although I'm toting a super-telephoto lens I have no preconceived idea of what I'm going to shoot, preferring on this occasion to take things as they come - hey, it's Sunday.

I eventually set up on the edge of Parkstone Bay, shortly before 7:00am, having been attracted by a number of Oyster Catchers feeding along the shore on an ebbing tide, but it's the surprise arrival of a Little Egret that steals the show. The bird lands right in front of me, and I start shooting straight away... but it's short lived.  I only manage 5 frames, 4 of which are successful: the fifth only contains the egret's trailing legs and wing, as it quickly departs to a different location in search of food.

300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII. 1/5000 second at f/5.6. - 0.67EV compensation. ISO 400. Monopod.

© 2010

No comments: