Gallery

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Line astern...


My early morning visit to the swan's nest (previous post) revealed that none of the eggs had, or were, hatching. It takes around 35 days for this to happen and since I don't know the dates they were laid I have to return on a regular basis to catch the event.
So I set off to my secondary location to check on the progress of the Greylag families of Poole Park. Whilst trying to deftly get into a suitable position to photograph one of the larger families I notice a pair of geese swimming across the lake with just one gosling. Whether there were originally more - I strongly suspect there were - I don't know, but many fall victim to predators. Since this lone survivor has both parents there is now a chance that their undivided attention to this gosling will aid in its survival.

300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/2000 second at f/5. -0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400

© 2010

No comments: