Gallery

Monday, May 17, 2010

Bow wave...


 The sun rises at 5:25am through broken cloud, while UK airspace (once again) is being compromised by the erupting Eyjfjallaökull volcano. I'm already out in the still air of daybreak, seeking subjects for my lens. I have the notion of photographing swans, specifically the run across the water in their bid to get airborne, and visit Poole Park lake for the exercise.
Naturally, the swans within shooting distance don't comply with my plan, and just bob serenely on the tranquil dawn water. There are one or two birds that take off, but they are hundreds of yards away on the other side of the lake: too far for my (or anyone's, I shouldn't wonder) lens.

It's on my way out of the park that I encounter a Mallard family of fourteen ducklings, swimming under the  council of their mother. They learn quickly, it seems, that anyone loitering beside the lake shore is a signal for a potential free meal, and swim eagerly in my direction. This time they're out of luck: I've already used up my supply of feed elsewhere, but I shoot a number of frames anyway, free of charge.

300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor (VR off) with TC-14EII. 1/640 second at f/5.6. - 0.33EV compensation. ISO 400. Monopod

© 2010

No comments: