Gallery

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Coffee and a bacon sandwich...


The roller coaster ride of a British autumn continues with another low pressure system sweeping in from the Atlantic. Although the strong winds have stripped most of the trees of their colour before they can be appreciated in all their glory, the diversification of weather does present an abundance of opportunities to me and my camera: I rather enjoy shooting in adverse conditions. The coast beckons.

The seafront is all but deserted at Boscombe, Dorset, bar a handful of surfers, determined to make the most of what's on offer - them, and a couple of fishermen on the pier - that's it.

Once I arrive I immediately get to work (I'm not hanging around too long; it really is a foul day) and I'm shooting directly into the rain. The front filter of the lens quickly gets wet, but that is part of the strategy: I want to use the water droplets to convey the feeling of a miserable, wet day. Human presence, struggling against the elements, was my original idea for the afternoon's outing, but as noted above they were in somewhat short supply. Consequently, the shots I had in mind were not there to be had. I eventually settle for moody images of some RNLI rescue gear on the beach, before heading off home for coffee and a bacon sandwich.

12-24mm f/4G Nikkor. 1/320 second at f/8. -0.33 EV compensation. ISO 1250

© 2010

No comments: