Gallery

Saturday, January 01, 2011

Gate...


It has been some time since I've produced any photographs, but it's not for the want of trying. Unless there are exceptional weather conditions, dramatic light or something out-of-the-ordinary, winter can be a hollow time for a landscape shooter.

To start the new year off, I am once again out on my bike in search of something worthwhile, but once again the light is flat and uninspiring, mainly because of the cloud cover. It is not until I come across the landing jetty of the East Dorset Sailing Club, situated next to Poole Harbour, that things start to get interesting. The low tide is revealing the whole bare-bones of the structure, and before I could get off the bike I'm thinking in monochromatic terms.

Whilst making a series of photographs I make the mental note to give the final result more graphic "bite" using Photoshop, rather than retain a full range of tones, and decide to make digital Lith, or high contrast, pictures. This involves removing almost all of the mid-tones: a technique that can transform the most mundane of subjects.

85mm f/1.4D Nikkor.  1/400 second at f/5.6. ISO 400

© 2011

No comments: