Gallery

Friday, January 11, 2013

Sick again...

The sun came out, today; big-time. There was not a cloud visible as I walked a section of Poole Bay, Dorset, this morning. I had been inspired to visit the sea by the current tide tables, which tell me that there are very low spring tides over the weekend that will coincide with sunset. Tomorrow is the lowest, so today was a kind of rehearsal for it all. Well, not exactly, since I am out far too early, but the conditions are far too good to pass up.

Apart from the shots I am getting I also prove useful to several others who, espying the camera slung over my shoulder, ask me to take their photograph(s) with their own. I alway forewarn people in these situations that I'm not confident working a compact camera, or even a mobile phone (the usual preferred equipment of the casual snapper) for such purposes, but I always seem to get eyed with suspicion; as if, in some way, I am trying to evade their request. Fortunately, I always manage to achieve what they require, and we go our separate ways.

Despite the calm weather there is a bit of a sea running, and consequently the local surfers are out, if only in small numbers at mid-day during the working week.
I switch to a super-telephoto and spend the best part of an hour on Boscombe Pier, taking a few casual shots of the activities. I'm not expecting much from the session, and it's only when I open the files on my computer that I see I have something out of the ordinary.

A wave having reached beach break (I hope I'm getting the terminology correct, here), this surfer rides it and alights from his board at the end (now I know I'm not getting it right), and is captured falling backwards into the surf, with a body language and facial expression of contemplative meditation and achievement. Sick.



Top: 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/4000 second at f/2.8. Polariser. ISO 400
Right: 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/2000 second at f/5.6. + 0.33 EV compensation.ISO 400



© 2013

No comments: