Gallery

Monday, December 08, 2014

A nut by any other name...



Galvanised by the recent impromptu shoot in a local park I think it prudent to have a second bite of the cherry, but this time with all the proper tools for the task. This includes an incentive for my subjects; that way both parties will benefit.

Making a special trip to the supermarket to buy some tempting tidbits I am foxed by the fact that food displays have been re-located to different parts of the store since my last visit (so what's new?), and finding what I want is not going to be the swift operation I had hoped for. Asking an employee where they have now hidden the peanuts seems like a reasonable question, but I am merely directed to the ready-salted, processed, party-ready variety. Definitely not what I - nor the squirrels - would want. My fault for not being specific enough, I fancy.

So I ask another in-store worker as to their whereabouts - this time being very specific - and am rather helpfully guided from one end of the shop floor to the other, only to be pointed to the same shelves as before. I explain that I want nuts that are still in their shells, but he seems a tad perplexed by such a request. It is at this moment that I see them for myself, nestling almost out of sight on the bottom shelf further along the aisle. I  pick up a bag to show him.

"Oh, you wanted monkey nuts in shells", he said (for that is how they are named on the packet). "You asked me for peanuts".

I point out that these are, in fact, peanuts, but he emphasises the phrase 'monkey nuts' before going about his business, confident that having pointed out my error he has duly served another customer to his - and my - satisfaction.

Below the header on the bag, is slightly smaller letters, it says: Peanuts from the USA.

A one-all draw. This time.




300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor. 1/320 second at f/3.2.  - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 320. Tripod



© 2014

No comments: