Gallery

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

In from the cold



It's a cold, crisp, winter's day, and I have architecture photography in mind. It's something I keep promising myself to take more seriously, and I've had enough of shooting seascapes for the time being.

Salisbury Cathedral is my chosen subject. I've not been there for a few months, and the clear skies should give me the opportunity to do it justice, both inside and out. I shoot from all the usual angles before nipping inside for some arty interior photographs - and some respite from the coldness of the day.

What it must cost to heat a space such as this boggles the mind, but having made a donation for the upkeep of the building, I'm glad to be inside. To my disappointment the builders are in, and there is scaffolding up in many places, restricting movement to some areas.

Undeterred, I head for the Chapter House where one of only four surviving examples of Magna Carta (Latin for Great Charter), is kept; I'll go and have a look at that. Photography of this ancient document -  dating from 1215 - is not allowed, but it didn't matter anyway as a copy has been substituted for the real thing whilst improvements are made to the room that houses it. I take some picture of the ceiling and stained glass windows, and head back into the cold.



12-24mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/250 second at f/8. Matrix metering. - ⅔ EV compensation. ISO 640



© 2019


2 comments:

Nic said...

Very very pretty indeed. I like your indoor cathedral shots. Shame that a particular local one of mine charges so much to get in there. :)

Richard Brewer said...

Kudos to Salisbury Cathedral for not charging an entrance fee as such, and even encouraging photography inside.

Does yours charge to take interior images?