Gallery

Wednesday, January 02, 2019

To kick, or not to kick...



The sky at 4:00am looked promising: clear, with a waning crescent moon and a waxing Venus, both shining brightly to the south east. Inspecting the conditions two hours later - and seeing there is still no cloud - I decide on a dawn shoot and head off to the beach an hour before sunrise.

Unfortunately, cloud cover rolls in as I arrive, and it's obvious I won't be getting anything spectacular in the way of light. Now improvising, I fit a x10 ND filter to the lens and start making long exposures of what's on offer. It's becoming an overused technique (and I am guilty as anybody in this respect), but short of kicking the tripod during the shot, I can't think of anything else to make it different.



18-35mm f/3.5 - 4.5 ED Nikkor. 60 seconds at f/8. 10 stop ND filter. Tripod and remote release. ISO 200



© 2019

2 comments:

Nic said...

But it's dead nice, init? Don't matter if it's overused if it's dead nice. :)

Richard Brewer said...

It does get tiresome to shoot - and to repeatedly see - long exposure photographs, but sometimes resorting to Plan B is all you've got. ;-)