Gallery

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Colour for the sake of it...


It's late in the day when I return to this morning's location, this time with the sole intention of photographing colour.
Now, despite my rant last month about polarising filters (CPL's) they seem to be enjoying a resurgence in my photography - maybe I was just too hasty.
The photograph is a detail of a beach hut on the Mudeford sandbank, Dorset, shot an hour before sunset. The effect of the polariser in this instance is to saturate colours - especially the sky and paintwork of the building - and I chose to use Nikon's ludicrously sharp 85mm f/1.4 lens for the task. Although originally designed as a portrait lens for film cameras it's useful for a variety of applications, especially when shallow depth of field is required: Shooting the lens wide open allows powerful selective focus for creative effect.

85mm f/1.4 Nikkor. 1/500 second at f/5.6. +0.67 EV. ISO 200. CPL.

© 2009

No comments: