Gallery

Saturday, May 30, 2009

On the run...


Another pre-dawn start in an attempt to photograph flying birds on Christchurch Harbour, Dorset: This time with the big stuff.
A 300mm lens is the absolute minimum requirement for wildlife, and for birds longer lenses are preferred - you can never have too much focal length with those subjects. Fortunately there are dedicated add-on optics available to increase the pulling power of fast telephotos, so I'm also using a x1.4 teleconverter to increase my chances.
Taking the decision to hand hold I set the camera to keep the shutter speed from falling below 1/1000 second, and stop the lens down a stop - always a good idea when using converters...and wait.
My only opportunity came at 5:45am as five Canada geese (Branta canadensis) flew in formation low over the Mudeford Run on their way out to sea. I fire off a sequence of frames but it's impossible to include all the birds in the frame until they are past me and flying into the light.

300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with x1.4 TC-14EII teleconverter. VR off. 1/1000 second at f/5. ISO 1000.

© 2009

No comments: