Gallery

Friday, December 25, 2009

Yule-tide festivities...




It's been a busy day from a photographic point of view, so with a Miles Davis CD playing through hot valves I pour myself a (ginger) beer - I gave up alcohol over 5 years ago - and begin:

The Yule-tide festival gets off to a good start this morning with another visit to Christchurch Quay, on the Dorset Stour. I've visited the location a number of times over recent weeks in an effort to photograph the priory, but the light was never as I wanted it. Persistence finally pays off and the dawn light is perfect. Although I make a number of photographs it's the first exposure, included here, that works the best.

Forgoing the traditional broadcast of the Queen's Christmas Message to the Commonwealth I return to the area during late afternoon, in search of the elusive Little Egrets that inhabit nearby Wick Fields. Over the past few weeks I've identified their preferred feeding grounds, so now it is just a case of turning up, suitably equipped, and wait.
Knowing an animals behaviour plays a large part in successful wildlife photography, and again diligence has its rewards. Whilst still too far away to get good feeding images, I do get several opportunities to capture this shy bird in flight as the sun sets.

Top: 70-200mm f/2.8 EX Sigma lens. 1/200 second at f/8. -0.33 EV. ISO 400
Bottom: 300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor and TC-14EII converter. 1/2500 second at f/4.5. -0.67EV. ISO 400

© 2009

No comments: