Gallery

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Winter light at its best...


Since the beginning of the week conditions have been poor in the south, with rain and leaden skies, making photography difficult - but not impossible. Weather forecasts have been no help either: they indicate sunny periods, but nature refuses to deliver. Today, I choose to ignore precipitation maps and go outside to get my boots muddy on Stanpit Marsh, Dorset.
It is the third time I've been at the location in as many days, and this time I think I'm going to get some light worth using. I do.

This, and the image in my previous post, illustrate the way light can dramatically transform a landscape. Shot from the same spot and with the same lens, this is the kind of photograph that only winter light at its best can produce. Apart from that, it is just a case of being there and recording what develops in front of me with a camera. I take a number of shots as the light moves across the scene, but It's over all too quick and the light has gone. The cloud breaks again later in the afternoon, but the setting sun is now too heavily diffused to be effective.

24-70 f/2.8 EX DG Sigma lens. 1/160 second at f/11. -0.33EV. ISO 640. 0.9 grey grad filter.

© 2009

No comments: