Gallery

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Limiting my options...

Having recently renewed my acquaintance with the 50mm lens I've decide to shoot exclusively with it for the rest of the week. It is good discipline to limit my options from time to time, making me work harder for images. Swapping lenses and constant zooming can make a photographer lazy.

The clear weather is still holding over most of the UK - a true Indian Summer at this time of year - so it's a relatively early start along the seafront of Poole Bay, Dorset.

One of the assets of the standard lens not mentioned in my previous post is its ability to close-focus (down to around 10 inches -/ 25.4 cm). Ideal for isolating detail.


With this in mind I seek out weathering on the beach huts that line the seafront, the effects of which are thrown into sharp relief by the oblique angle of the sun's autumn rays.
It is a harsh environment, here, what with exposure to salt spray and constant abrasive action from wind-bourne sand -  not to mention the occasional winter gale. Despite this the majority of huts are in good condition, being constantly maintained by their owners. There is, however, the odd example of neglect or storm damage. Ideal subjects when the light is right.

50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor.

Top: 1/1250 second at f/8.
Below: 1/400 second at f/11
-0.33EV compensation. ISO 200

© 2010

No comments: