Gallery

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Up the wall...


Today's photograph occurred by accident rather than design. I had stopped to photograph something completely different and whilst eyeing up my original subject, trying to decide which angle was the best to approach it from, I noticed movement in the background. This was far more interesting. At first I thought I had the opportunity to shoot some pictures of the rare Sand lizard, confined to a few areas of the UK and a protected species. This initial identification was determined by the green colour, which begins to fade after the summer months.

I already had a macro lens mounted on the camera and I quickly rattled off a few frames in case the lizard took flight and I didn't see it again. But once I had the grab shots in the can I ventured to slowly move closer, to see if I could get anything better.

Although the reptile was well aware of me it allowed me to get a series of close-up pictures. I stopped the lens well down, to allow for any focusing errors - I was shooting hand held - and chose to use the image with the catchlights in its eyes.

On further investigation I identify my subject as a common Wall lizard (Podarcis muralis); the blue markings on the edge of the belly clinching the deal. Theses lizards are unique in the UK, as they are the only species that can climb vertical walls, hence the name.

105mm f/2.8G Sigma macro lens. 1/320 second at f/11. -0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400

© 2010

No comments: