Gallery

Friday, October 22, 2010

See it; Shoot it...

Although using a bike as a photographic tool gives a great deal of flexibility - the means to see a potential subject, jump off and shoot - it still has its downside. From time to time I know I pass some situations merely because I'm travelling too quickly, so this morning I intentionally make the effort to travel on foot.

Normally a photographer works a subject, sometimes taking a great deal of images from various angles, or as the light changes, selecting the frame that works best. Today will be different. I intend to restrict myself to one exposure for each subject that catches my eye...and to work quickly.

This technique was practiced by American photographer Bill Eggleston, purely on the basis that you don't have numerous images of the same subject to edit, or to agonise over which two almost identical pictures is the better.
If you just have the one shot it will have to do. After all, once you take more that one photograph of the same thing you are just repeating yourself.

It turns out to be a refreshing way to work; to shoot instinctively - lifting the camera to my eye and firing the shutter - then moving on.

I make the mental note of converting this to mono as I frame the scene, but this time the conversion doesn't work and I retain the colour.

50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor. 1/640 second at f/8. +0.67 EV compensation. ISO 200

© 2010

No comments: