Gallery

Wednesday, October 06, 2010

You can't put it there...


    In my last post I devoted a paragraph to compositional rules that a photographer should bear in mind when shooting, and then went on to say that theses rules are not to be strictly adhered to. Another cardinal rule of composition - never place the horizon in the middle - is yet another device frowned upon by purists. Today I set out to shoot an image that did just that.
    
    It took some time before I found a suitable subject: kite surfers on Bournemouth beach, and once I started shooting it took a long time (and a good deal of failures) before I could capture both kite and surfer in the shot. I also wanted my subject silhouetted against the sun's reflection off of the sea - longer still.

I cropped the image slightly to get the effect I was after, but despite the flagrance of compositional etiquette the photograph works.

300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/2500 second at f/8. +0.33 EV compensation. ISO 320

© 2010

No comments: