Gallery

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Adobe Photoshop and the digital age...


Over the past month or so I've had several discussions (and disagreements) with another photographer as to whether or not digital photography takes away the soul of an image, and whether or not it's the best thing since sliced bread: he maintains it is not. I don't care.

Today, digital imaging proved its worth from my perspective, as it enabled me to produce a useable photograph using the wrong lens for the job. The paddle steamer PS Waverley made its final appearance at Bournemouth during the South Coast excursion season, and by way of a change I opted to get some shots from a higher angle than sea level, using a super-telephoto lens to record the ship's arrival at 1.00pm. Unfortunately, local atmospheric conditions - the bane of long focal length optics - were producing images with poor resolution and weak colours: I needed to shoot when my subject was much closer than intended.

From my vantage point on the West Cliff of Bournemouth I was unable to accommodate the full length of the Waverley with a 300mm lens once it tied-up along side the pier: I was just too close. I could have moved back the distance required, but as the stop-over was for a mere 15 minutes I had precious little time to re-locate and reframe... so I shot a panoramic.

I alway shoot in the RAW format, but for this technique I switched the camera to its fine jpeg setting, purely to keep the final file size down to something manageable. I needed to make all the exposures identical, so I switched the camera to manual and shot the sequence in portrait format (upright), overlapping each exposure by roughly 30%. Once opened on my computer I had seven frames that needed to be stitched together by software (Adobe Photoshop) - the results of which can be see in the first photograph. After that I processed the image as I normally would, but in this case I cloned-in a bit of sea at the bottom of the picture and cropped out the bent horizon and sky (below).

The process produced a final image 70cm wide with a file size of 116mb, and the detail in the original is such that when zoomed in I can clearly identify individual passengers waiting to embark from the pier.



300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor. 1/400 second at f/11. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400. Monopod.

© 2011


No comments: