Gallery

Friday, September 02, 2011

Carpeted swans...


Although I heard someone on the radio mention the other day that the end of August is the end of summer, the beginning of September belies that statement. Clear skies and temperatures reaching 23˚C are the order of the day, and I'm not going to waste it. I've spent too many days inside recently, pursuing other creative interests; it's time to get out.

Packing my longest lens I jump (figuratively speaking) on my bike and head for the countryside, and specifically Throop Mill, Dorset. Although I have waterfowl in mind I'm not intending to shoot anything serious, as it's the middle of the day and the sun is high overhead: not the best light.

For reasons best known to those who manage the area, the millpond has been allowed to become carpeted with (duck?) weed, which at first glance makes it look as if it has been grassed-over; the surface looks solid enough to walk on. It's not, of course, born out by two mute swans paddling their way across. It's obviously harder work for them to move, but they seem to be quite adaptive to the situation.


300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/1250 sec at f/11. -0.67 EV compensation. Monopod. ISO 400.

© 2011

1 comment:

Nic said...

Beautiful, as ever. And thank you. x P