Gallery

Sunday, September 18, 2011

I see no ships...

It is at this time of year - and this week in particular - that the PS Waverley, the only seagoing paddle steamer in the world, makes several excursions along the South coast. Time for some shots.

Having missed the departure from Bournemouth pier this morning (it was raining), I elect to do some early evening photography as the ship returns. It will be better light, anyway.

Once the excursions are underway all details are removed from the sailing schedule on its web site, so I'm forced into guessing what time this will be. Experience tells me roughly 6 - 6.30pm, so I'm cycling along the seafront at this time from Bournemouth to Sandbanks, keeping an eye out for the Waverley to hove into view on the horizon...but it doesn't happen.

Eventually I check the departure and arrival times at the entrance to the pier, and a notice informs me that today's sailing had been cancelled due to bad weather. Okay, it did rain and there were winds of up to 25mph along the coast, but surely it wasn't that bad? Still, better safe than sorry; I'll try again tomorrow (weather permitting). Oh yes, the photograph is a token shot whilst waiting on the beach at Canford Cliffs, Poole.


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/200 second at f/11. -0.33 EV compensation. ISO 320. Polariser

© 2011

4 comments:

Nic said...

I'm getting a new camera!!! :-) P

Richard Brewer said...

Good for you, P. Perhaps we may see some of your photography on-line again?

Nic said...

Absolutely! Due next week. Watch that space. You're very clever with all the bits and bobs I don't understand, so I might annoy you with questions. :-)

Richard Brewer said...

I will be more than happy to field any questions you may have.