Gallery

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Well, it surprised me...



Having drawn a blank in photographing the PS Waverley on Sunday, the weather conspires once again the day after, and sailings are cancelled. Time is running out as tomorrow is the last day of the South Coast excursions. Not only that, but I understand that future visits are doubtful due to operating costs; this may be my last chance.

Having checked the Waverley's web site yesterday I deduce that my last (and only) chance for some images now is on Thursday - no sailings, today -  although the weather forecast doesn't look too promising. It's in the lap of the gods.

Despite a brisk westerly wind I decide to take a mid-day bike ride along the sea front of Poole Bay, Dorset; camera bag loaded for the first time in weeks, but nothing in mind to shoot... when I come upon the scene above. To my total surprise the aforementioned steamer is pulling up along side Bournemouth Pier as I arrive, shortly before 1pm. The light at this time of day is too brutal to get anything moody or pleasing, but I make a number of photographs as insurance against tomorrow's possibility of a no-show because of weather.

In this instance I use the RNLI lifeguard station and its attendant quad bike to add some interest and compensate for the less-than-photogenic lighting. I was also informed by a fellow photographer, whom I struck up a conversation with on the beach, that the Waverley was scheduled for a visit today; it was advertised it on its web site.

Missed that one!


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/320 second at f/11. - 0.33 EV Compensation. ISO 320. Polariser

© 2011

1 comment:

Nic said...

See, it's the magical bit I like: when you are least expecting something and you turn around and it's there, or you walk round a corner and find something remarkable. Maybe not Thursday, but who knows? Something different but equally magical might just appear instead. :-) P