Gallery

Saturday, September 22, 2012

57 minutes of autumn...

It's autumn: ever since 14.49 this afternoon. Well, that is the time the sun appeared directly over the Equator in the Northern Hemisphere, today. From that moment on we have more darkness than light during the day for the next six months. Whilst this can be less than welcome for most people, it is a boon to my photography. For one thing, I don't have to up early or out late to get good light, and another is that there is visible change in the season and I can shoot at any time of the day.

Fired up by this knowledge (a bit prematurely, as it is still far too early to see any real difference), I am out for a walk with my camera, looking for something to inspire me. But as I said, no real distinction as yet, and in the end I only take seven photographs - five of which are very similar to the one here.

I'm going through a minimalistic phase, it seems, but quite why I have no idea. I do like images that have very little information as much as those that can be a veritable riot of detail and colour, but for now, the less the better. Maybe I'm doing it subconsciously, so I can refer to later phases of my work as post-minimalist. I'm sure all artists and creative people benefit from such catergorisation when their work becomes evaluated at some point. It lends a certain gravitas to it all. Who am I to argue?

Anyway, one of the seven photos taken this afternoon: A cloud over the Isle of Purbeck, Dorset... some 57 minutes after summer came to an end.


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/6400 second at f/5.6. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

No comments: