Gallery

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Almost there...

There are spring tides this week in Poole Bay, Dorset, and I'm out with my camera during late afternoon, looking for shots when they are at their lowest. It is something of a favourite subject of mine, as the retreating sea leaves behind pristine sand, and the opportunity to photograph all sorts of textures, objects, and reflections in tide pools. I have to time my arrival well as the smooth areas of the exposed shore can soon be marred by others walking the area, and arrive at Boscombe beach at low water (17.14 hours).

I'm blessed not only with a good beach, but also a good sky, and I use a polarising filter to accentuate the cirrus clouds.  Composing the shot so that the late afternoon sun is just out of frame, I use the reflection of the groyne marker and the lengthening shadows to my advantage, and start making photographs.

There is already a noticeable difference in the quality of light at this time of year: autumn starts this weekend (the equinox is this coming Saturday). My photographic season starts then. Can't wait.


12-24mm f/4G AF-S Nikkor. 1/250 second at f/11. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400. Polarising filter


© 2012

No comments: