Gallery

Sunday, September 23, 2012

It's winter...

I find myself increasingly attracted to taking photographs in adverse conditions. I actually enjoy fighting the elements to get pictures, however much it is fraught with difficulties. One thing is for certain, I get shots a lot of the more casual snappers would never get, since they either pack up and go home when the weather deteriorates, or don't venture out in the first place. Me? I'm packing my bag and looking forward to just how bad it can get. This is all within reason, of course, and never take any unnecessary risks just to get an image, but a touch of gale force wind, or lashing rain can work wonders for a bit of inspiration.

I overhear a conversation next to Boscombe Pier, Dorset, between two surfers preparing themselves before entering the water: "It's winter!", exclaims one to the other. Whilst a little premature with his observation, the conditions we are subjecting ourselves to wouldn't be out of place in mid-January. At least it isn't cold.


I take a few snaps that I know will never again see the light of day and decide to move on. By mid afternoon I am walking the seafront, and for a good while I am the only living thing visible in either direction, as far as the eye can penetrate through the rain and gloom. Ideal photographic weather, as far as I am concerned. I am trying to get images of breaking waves, but the sea is not rough enough for any degree of drama, so I settle on including large portions of the brooding sky, such as here, with an RNLI lifeguard station on the deserted beach acting as a focal point. 


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/200 second at f/8. ISO 640


© 2012

4 comments:

Nic said...

Well, you can look forward to 60mph gales. Have fun.

Richard Brewer said...

I will if it happens, Nic. I could do with some blustery weather.

Dusty said...

Did you plan to get the bird in the shot ? I think it works really well .

Richard Brewer said...

I tend to try and place something like that in a photograph, although it doesn't always happen when I want it to.