Gallery

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

No, not yet...

I've heard it several times already: It's autumn. The end of summer comes on the last day of August, yet nature still shows no sign of the colour yet to come. In fact you could be forgiven for thinking it was the height of summer in the southern part of the UK this week, with clear skies expected and temperatures touching 27ºC (81ºF) by the weekend.

Even so, I'm out on my bike in search of the early signs of my favourite time of the year, with all its colours, smells and stunning light. I pay a visit to the Stour Valley Nature Reserve, and although there is a vague tint of yellow on some trees it is definitely not happening yet - nor do I expect it to - not until next month, at the least.


Instead I point my camera at the river to shoot reflections, and the more abstract they are, the better. Life-like reflections have their place, but occasionally it can be fun to attempt to come up with something more impressionistic with just the camera alone. I do toy with the idea of fitting a polariser and reducing the amount of reflection I get, but what would be the point? It does make it onto the end of my lens - where it remains during the shoot - but rotated so it has little to no effect. This, of course, is pointless, as it only reduces the amount of light reaching the sensor - nothing else - but since I was not shooting hand-held it didn't bother me unduly. However, it is not recommended. What I did do to achieve something different than what the camera recorded, was to turn one of the images here upside down, just for the fun of it.


70-200mm f/2.8D Apo Sigma lens.
Top left: 1/100 second at f/6.3. - 0.33 EV compensation
Right: 1/160 second at f/5.6.  - 0.33 EV compensation
ISO 500


© 2012

2 comments:

Anne (LazyDays) said...

I love this photo. It reminds me of a Monet painting. :)

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Anne. I do like taking photographs like this, as it is a subject so often overlooked by the casual observer, or not seen at all. :-)