Gallery

Monday, September 24, 2012

Blowy...

After yesterday's dismal weather we are enjoying a moment of respite in the southern part of the UK, but I am assured it is temporary by the man on the TV. Today, we have clear skies and autumn sunshine, but the wind has remained. In fact, if anything, it has got stronger.

A swift look at the Met Office's weather map during the morning tells me that the 21mph (34km/h) Westerly winds along the English Channel are gusting up to 49mph (79km/h): every indication that there may be some sort or water sport activity in Poole Bay, Dorset. I pack a super-telephoto lens and set off for the coast.

There are two wind surfers darting about, propelled by the stiff winds, when I arrive at Boscombe Pier, so I make for the end of it so as to get nearer the action. This move is effective, but unfortunately the gusting wind is so strong it is impossible to get sharp images - even with very fast shutter speeds - as the camera (and myself) is getting blown about. I am forced to resort to bracing the camera against a lighting pole to steady everything. This technique produces the desired results, but I'm not happy with the angles.

I move down to the waterline and start again, battling against wind-blown sand, and trying to stand still long enough to shoot. The wind is not so strong here, but I am shooting with my fastest shutter speed to make sure something is sharp (why, oh why, didn't I bring my monopod?). I'm aiming to photograph the windsurfers set against the sunlight reflected from the waves, for a high-key effect, and several oblige by coming close enough to the shore to get one or two worthwhile images.


300mm f/4D AF-S Nikkor. 1/8000 second at f/4. - 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 500


© 2012

No comments: