Gallery

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

All or nothing...

All or nothing: my House motto when at school, and today I felt it time it was put into practice. Motivated by the recent sightings of a local kestrel, I decide today to pack my bag with my biggest lens and converter and get the job done properly. Since this optic is of a somewhat bulky (and weighty) nature I am inclined to carry just that and nothing else for photo shoots; all my eggs in one basket, if you will, but it does produce the results.

Of course, the other necessary ingredient in the mix is the bird itself, and today is a no-show. With the sunshine about to give way to rain, I adopt the contingency plan and make for the local pier. Even then I'm not too optimistic about what I will shoot. The weather is closing in, and a super-telephoto lens is of little use for scenic work if the scene is obscured by rain.

But all is not lost! There are the usual handful of surfers enjoying the waves that are being whipped-up by a strong South Westerly (wind or no wind; waves or flat calm - it makes no difference - they are still there), and the number is growing. They are surfing close to Boscombe Pier, as the waves tend to be larger there, so I am able use the raised platform to get in closer without getting my feet wet. As per usual, there are varying skill levels on display, and it soon becomes apparent as to who to keep an eye on to get some action shots.

I could blast away in burst mode, but opt to take single frames instead, trying to anticipate the peak of the action. I spend half an hour or so taking photographs before the chill of early evening gets the better of me, and although I have more elegant poses of the surfing community, I choose this image as I feel it better conveys the intensity of the sport.


300mm f/2.8D AF-S VR Nikkor. 1/640 second at f/2.8. + 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

No comments: