Gallery

Saturday, October 13, 2012

I could not have asked for more...

I am occasionally asked as to why I return to the same location time and time again to photograph what I have already photographed before. My reply is always the same: Every time I go back I get something different; it is never the same twice. Up until now that has been true. Even visiting the same location two days running under clear blue skies, and at the same time of day, will produce slightly different results. Well, today was something of an eye opener for me.

Once again, showery weather was predicted for later in the day, so I set off in the late afternoon sunshine for a photographic ramble along the beach. I had every intention of shooting the passing rain from Boscombe Pier. Just like yesterday. I even walked the same route along the sands with the same lens on the camera, taking similar images. Just like yesterday. What I didn't have yesterday was a fisheye lens. I remember wishing I had one at the time, to capture the rainbow in its entirety that appeared during the late afternoon shower. Today I have it with me, solely for that purpose.

Somewhat presumptive, you may think, but I can barely believe it myself when the clouds roll in, and it begins to rain within moments of my arrival on the pier. Just like yesterday. Light rain to start with; progressing to a brief but intense downpour, and finally topped-off with a flurry of hail stones. A gentleman standing nearby - that by the looks of him originated from the Eastern Mediterranean - danced excitedly, and loudly proclaimed: "It's snowing!" Well, not quite, but a mixed bag of events that, with the sunshine, produced the inevitable rainbow, set against dark cloud. On went the fisheye lens and I began to make photographs. Just what I wanted...which was nice.

10.5mm f/2.8 AF Nikkor Fisheye. 1/400 second at f/8. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 200


© 2012

No comments: