Gallery

Monday, October 15, 2012

Less dramatic...

Twenty five years ago tonight was the night The Great Storm hit most of southern England and northern France - the worst storm in 284 years - that killed 18 people in the UK and caused substantial damage to buildings and trees. In some areas hurricane force winds were recorded (up to 120mph - 193 km/h), but the remarkable thing was I slept through it all. I really had no idea what had happened overnight until I went off to work the next morning, and wondered what had caused all the chaos. As I write, winds are gusting up to 43 mph (69km/h) along the coast, but nothing like those experienced at the time. Just a gentle reminder on the anniversary.

I have adopted a local pier as a base to shoot from for the time being. I'm not spending all day there, but I am trying to time my presence to the last two hours or so of daylight. It is an ideal vantage point since it is a raised platform, and the views in either direction along the coast are equally interesting when the weather changes mood.

I'm captivated by the soft early evening light; the clouds and the ebbing tide; all coming together to form an image that is almost monochromatic in feel. I feel it is too good an opportunity to pass up, so I start to frame the photograph and wait for a pleasing wave pattern to form for a more interesting foreground. As I am fine tuning the composition (and about to fire the shutter), a surfer unexpectedly runs into the frame and the balance is complete. I had one or two moments when the light was more dramatic prior to this, but I choose this picture from the session for its simplicity and subtle tones.

24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/500 second at f/8. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 200. Monopod


© 2012

No comments: