Gallery

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Where have all the fishies gone?...

Fishing: I'll admit it - not my cup of tea - and never will be as far as I can tell, but it doesn't ever stop me shooting the breeze with the anglers that dot the coastline of Poole Bay, or gravitate to the end of the local pier.

I'm out twice, today, shooting in the greyness of a rainy autumn day, and both sessions culminate on Boscombe Pier, Dorset. Unless there are water sports enthusiasts doing their stuff on such days (not today, there wasn't), it does seem that the best of the "action" can be found on the end of said pier.

There is precious little in the way of action to photograph if I take this route, mainly because very little gets caught. Of the four fisher folk that I chatted to, three of them bemoaned the dwindling stocks of suitably sized fish over the past ten years (and what has caused it), but went on to say that being out in the sea air more than compensated for it all. The fourth was only too pleased to be there at all, since he lives in Nottingham. It was also heart warming to hear that two of the four anglers questioned actually returned their catches to the deep blue sea. Good for them!

I'm struggling with shutter speeds as the light fails and the early evening rain persists, even though I am shooting from a monopod. I could raise the ISO to some astronomical figure; I could shoot wide open; but I don't. Instead, I elect to steady the camera by bracing it firmly against the framework of the windbreak that runs almost the length of the structure. That technique - plus the monopod - allows me to capture the mood of the scene with the best quality available.


70-200mm f/2.8D APO Sigma lens. 1/6 second at f/8. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 250. Monopod


© 2012

No comments: