Gallery

Friday, October 26, 2012

If only...

It has got somewhat cooler than of late; not exactly winter, but an autumn bite is in the air. This was forecast by the Met Office earlier in the week - so not entirely unexpected - but sunshine was also mentioned, which we didn't get. Not that is ever a problem as long as there is light of some sort. In the eventuality it turns out to be heavily overcast, but regular readers of this blog (I know you are out there, somewhere) will know that I embrace such conditions as I find the light of  'God's own softbox' to be very useable, if not desirable, and quite beautiful.

The trick is not to include any sky in the photograph if it is a featureless grey, and concentrate on detail. I am carrying just a 50mm lens for the job, as I find it easier to handle for such photography where the flexibility of a zoom lens is unlikely to be needed.

On today's walk along the seafront of Poole Bay, Dorset, I am drawn to the wooden groynes built at intervals along the shoreline to reduce longshore drift, and in particular the texture of the weathered greenheart wood and the bolts used to keep them all together.


It doesn't take too long in finding interesting features to point my lens at, although I am sure I must be drawing the odd look of curiosity from passers-by, who might well be wondering just why I am on my knees in the sand and paying so much attention to apparently nothing. Of course, it bothers me not, and I did once overhear a remark made from one walker to the other as they passed me by (and thought I was out of earshot): "He was taking a picture of the wall!"

If only they were to stop and look.












50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor.

Top: 1/100 second at f/7.1.  - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 640
Right: 1/250 second at f/5.6. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 640


© 2012

No comments: