Gallery

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Looking back...

I thought I'd chance it, today. It was a summer's afternoon: blue sky; fluffy white clouds - that sort of thing - and I still had a hankering to shoot some cricket. To my surprise, I find some being played locally. Now, I am not trying to turn this blog into a sporting affair - why, there is an air show coming along at the end of the month for a change of pace - but I am learning a great deal about the timing of action photography in doing this type of imaging.

What action, you may ask. It's cricket, after all, and that is how it may come across to the casual observer, where nothing perceivably happens from one over to the next. But you'd be wrong. There are intense moments; bursts of action and drama, albeit short lived, and that is what I am trying to capture with my lens. One thing is clear in my mind: I am better at this that shooting fireworks.
















300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter.

Top: 1/3200 second at f/5.6.  - 0.67 EV compensation
Middle: 1/2500 second at f/5  - 0.67 EV compensation
Below right: 1/4000 second at f/4  -0.67 EV compensation

ISO 320. Tripod and remote release



© 2013

2 comments:

Nic said...

Bats, balls, that sort of thing... ;)

Richard Brewer said...

Not to mention splayed stumps and flying bails...