Gallery

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Blue skies and sooty-grey...


After last night's strong winds and heavy rain the day breaks clear and calm, and I have the idea to visit a location that I've not been to for over a year for some waterfowl photography. My camera bag is already loaded with a super-telephoto lens and body, so it's just a case of dressing appropriately (thermal everything) and get into the car and drive.

As I head to Eyeworth Pond in the New Forest it occurs to me that this is probably the first time I've driven anywhere since October, as I mainly use a bicycle to get to the nearer destinations, these days. It starts to rain on the way, but it's only showers and I remain confident of getting something useful.

Upon arrival I find I have the place to myself, but as I start to set up my gear I discover that in my haste to leave home I've forgotten an important part of my photographic kit: the quick release plate for the ball and socket head on my monopod. It normally remains permanently attached to the foot of my 300mm lens, but I removed it in favour of the geared tripod head when shooting the moon last week, and never replaced it. Of course it won't mount and I have no option but to hand hold the camera. This is only a problem during extended shoots due to the weight, but the light is good and the sky is blue, so I just stand and wait.

There is the usual selection of ducks and drakes on the pond, as well as a cormorant, much to my surprise, but it's the coots, with their red eyes and distinctive white shield that get my attention on this visit. Although they appear black at first glance their plumage is in fact a sooty-grey, that can be seen in the photograph. The water ripples catch the sunlight and add some fill-in light to the feathers, highlighting their true colour.


300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/1250 second at f/4.5. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 500


© 2011

No comments: