Gallery

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Can you see a difference?

Whilst out shooting yesterday afternoon, I had the presence of mind to take a couple of comparison shots of a scene I was working on with my mobile phone camera. I've never done this before, but wanted to know how the results would compare to that of professional camera equipment.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if my phone camera had all sorts of exposure and zoom capabilities built in, but since I don't intend to use it in any serious capacity I've not bothered to find out what these are (if any). In this respect it is not a fair comparison as the focal lengths are not the same (nor the resolutions in the way of a pixel count) - and heaven knows what the focal length of the tiny piece of glass(?) and sensor dimensions are - but I just wanted to find out what sort of quality I could expect.

I gave the original file a tweak in Adobe Photoshop before resizing it to be used here, and although the native file would only print at 8.5 x 6.5 inches (21.6 x 16.5 cm) compared to the 18 x 12 inch (45.7 x 30.5 cm) RAW file of my Nikon body, I find the phone to be a useful tool as a photographic notebook.

I have no doubt the phone camera images print well in the sizes it is intended for, and reproduces well enough on a web site such as this, but since I carry it with me everywhere I go it may well prove it's worth one day. After all: an image is better than no image.

(no metadata available)


© 2011

2 comments:

Nic said...

Wouldn't get a thing out of mine. It turns the pictures into formats I have never heard of. I will refrain from using bad language on here. :-) P x

Richard Brewer said...

Rats, blast and nuts are all acceptable expletives on these pages. :-)