Gallery

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A matter of survival...

I'll say one thing: the weather has improved somewhat over recent weeks here, in Dorset, but temperatures haven't followed suit. It is still remarkably cool for the time of year, and I do wish summer - or something at least resembling it - would hurry up and get here.

Having said that, it is quite warm once I get moving, as I find when I go for a morning walk along the cliff tops and beaches of Poole Bay. Of course, I have a camera with me, and stop occasionally to shoot things that fascinate, or simply cry out to be photographed, as with the Sea Thrift (Armeria) at Southbourne this morning (right). I have made several attempts over recent visits to produce a satisfying image of the pink and white flowers that adorn the local coastline, but I felt there was alway something lacking. I think I was lacking the right light. Maybe I still am.




The other thing that caught my interest on my casual stroll was the whelk egg case (left), that had been washed up along the shore - a common sight at the best of times - but in this instance set against a pleasing background of marbled sand. Often referred to as Mermaid's Purse, there can be up to a hundred eggs in the clump, and the little rascals that hatch out before the rest are cannibalistic; eating the remaining unhatched siblings as a means to survival.


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor.
Top: 1/400 second at f/5.6. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 200
Below: 1/320 second at f/8. ISO 400


© 2012

1 comment:

Nic said...

Eeewww. I sort of wish I hadn't read that. :/

N