Gallery

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Different light and the Royal Albert Hall...

The warm conditions currently sitting across the British Isles, whilst very welcome - it has been a poor spring up until now - can have its drawbacks for the landscape photographer. The high pressure has brought with it a good deal of atmospheric haze - at least along the coast of Dorset - and visibility is somewhat reduced.

But as us photographers say: there is no such thing as bad light; just different light - and it's true. I'm shooting this evening at Sandbanks, Poole harbour, and the setting sun is being diffused nicely, with warm hues reflecting off the surface of the water as the tide comes in. I make the obligatory series of images of boats against the evening light (photos I already know will not get used - ever), but it's the appearance of the Oystercatcher that makes the difference, and I manage just five frames before it flies off - presumably to catch oysters elsewhere.

As I write, my best friend Nic, (photographer, artist and musician), has contacted me and told me she has just been onstage with Elvis Costello at the Royal Albert Hall, London. Wonderful!


300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/1000 second at f/5.6. + 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

No comments: