Gallery

Friday, May 11, 2012

Pigface and Seafox...

The weather has turned again and today could be easily mistaken for an early summer's day, so once more unto the beach with my camera. I'm a little bit more sophisticated today, as I am using a wide angle zoom instead of a prime, but I'm keeping with the recent trend of using a greatly reduced photographic kit.

I wander through a local wood, snapping here and there as the whim takes me; at one point sprawled on the ground, photographing bluebells, but it is the flower (right) that draws me, on a nearby cliff face.

I have long been familiar with this plant, but have never seen it in flower; nor know its name. Swift research (where would we be without Google?) tells me that is a Pigface (Carpobrotus rossii) - I looked that up, too. Usually found growing around Pacific, South African or Australian coasts, it bears testimony to the mild climate of England's south coast.

An unusual object hove into view on Poole Bay, Dorset, this week, in the shape of what I would describe as a drilling rig (left). I have seen nothing on the local news as to its purpose, but since Wednesday Seafox 7  has been sat roughy a mile off shore with two support vessels in attendance. Oil beneath the bay, perhaps? That would be interesting.

Update: According to the owner's web site "The unit is also very suitable for supporting installation activities in the offshore windfarm market." Even more interesting...


Top: 12-24mm f/4 Nikkor. 1/125 second at f/11. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 200
Below. 300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/1250 second at f/5.6. - 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 200


© 2012

2 comments:

Nic said...

Pigface. What a curious name for a flower. Like horsenose, or sheepfeet, or cowarms.

Do cows have arms?

It's a very pretty flower. :)

Richard Brewer said...

Isn't there a pub somewhere called the Cows Arms? If not, there should be. :-)