Gallery

Thursday, November 08, 2012

Leaving port...

What ever happened to the cold weather? I thought it had set in for the duration, but today it was rather mild and still. Not that I am complaining. Not only do I get great light to work with, but it is also comfortable to be out there simply taking photographs and not having to brace my self against the elements all the time. It is not so noticeable while I'm on the move, but stand still for half an hour and it begins to tell.

So, I plan to capture something of what us photographers know as the 'golden hour': that hour after sunrise or before sunset, when the light (should it be happening at all) can be stunning.

I find myself during late afternoon on the exposed flats of Poole Harbour, Dorset, with the tide out, taking snaps of a low sun, juxtaposed against the ripples in the sand, but I don't feel I have taken anything worthwhile. I'm still considering my options: Should I wait until sunset to see if the scene develops? Should I go somewhere else? Should I go home?

In the end my mind was made up for me when I hear a single blast on the horn of the Cotentin car and passenger ferry, as it prepares to leave port for France, and I ride to the harbour entrance to get a better look. I have numerous images of this particular ship - both coming and going - but a few more won't hurt, is the thinking. Besides, I might get something different.

In the event, the ferry sails uneventfully on out into the English Channel, but I do take several frames all the same. What is interesting by now, is the light itself, but ideally I need something for a bit of foreground interest... then, out of nowhere the fishing boat sails into view and I take the shot, which proves to be one of the best from the session (my friend Nic has the other).


24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/500 second at f/8. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 200 Monopod


© 2012

No comments: