Gallery

Monday, November 05, 2012

Muddy boots...

Today I went out shooting the way I used to in the days of film (and getting muddy boots into the bargain), using a tripod to slow the process down. My chosen location was Kimmeridge Bay, Dorset - a place I have not visited since I went digital in 2006, so by my reckoning, seven years. Of course, very little has changed, and although the weather was good, it was too good, and I had to deal with clear blue skies (far from ideal for the landscape photographer). Not only that, but the Army Range Walk was also closed, so my options were fast becoming limited. I opt to get in close to see what I could find.

The rocks at Kimmeridge - part of the UNESCO Jurassic Coast - are known to be 150 million years old, so fossils are to be seen by the keen observer. Whilst fossil hunting itself is not allowed, there is nothing to stop me photographing them. I know of several large examples on the beach itself that are only visible with a much lower tide - but otherwise examples are small or fragmentary and easily overlooked. It is the small pebble and its shadow, perched on a rock that initially attracts my attention, but as I move in to get a better look I notice the ammonite impression next to it. A pure stroke of luck.

I have a half-hearted wander up to the oil well; yes, we have our own version of Dallas in Dorset - without all the squabbling and fighting that I imagine continues in the new television series - but finally decide to get back down to sea level for what promises to be a decent sun set.

I brought a super-telephoto lens along on the off chance I might get to use it for such a scene, and the cloud on the horizon looked like it would eventually work in my favour. I'm set up in what is now becoming a cold wind, hoping everything will remain stable enough to get sharp images, when the Army kicks-off with a spot of target practice at 4.15. I would have thought they would be enjoying a nice cup of tea at that time of day, but no: bang-bang-bang. Joining in with the spirit of the moment, I take 48 shots of my own as the sun dipped down and disappeared below the sea, and the shoot (in both cases) was over.


Top: 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/80 second at f/11. ISO 200.
Below. 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/1600 second at f/4.5. - 1.67 EV compensation. ISO 200. Tripod and remote release


© 2012

2 comments:

Nic said...

You need to remember who made you to go there, Mister, else you would not have got these pretty pictures. Hm? Hm? No. Hm? No.

Richard Brewer said...

Shush, Nic. You'll get me into trouble!