Gallery

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Wic...

I did all the ground work yesterday: checked the weather forecast and tide tables (favourable); made a mental note of what I would need to pack in my bag for the photography I had in mind (fairly straightforward), but somehow my planned trip to Kimmeridge Bay, Dorset, didn't even come to mind once I woke up today. Instead, I set off to Christchurch Harbour, and specifically, Wick Fields, with the idea to photograph the priory from across the Dorset Stour.

There was a great deal of flood water on some of the meadows, no doubt due to the recent high tides and strong overnight winds, but this made it all rather wonderful for the shoot: that, plus the never ending procession of great skies to work with. As there is so much going on before me - I even get a heron and egret to watch through binoculars, but too distant to do justice with my longest lens - I consider shooting a panoramic so I can capture more of the fleeting light and shade. In fact, I shoot two, but neither captured the feel of the scene before me, so I opt to use a single photograph (above).

                                                         ----------------------------------------

The water meadows at Wick (the name is derived from the Old English wic, meaning 'dairy farm'), are part of the Hengistbury Head Local Nature Reserve, and is designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). Since the area has not been improved in an agricultural aspect, it is regarded as ancient grassland. It is a location I have worked before, and will be returning over the coming months for some winter photography.


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/200 second at f/11. ISO 200. Polarising filter. Monopod


© 2012

No comments: