Gallery

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Backlit buds...

I had the idea for today's shoot some time late last night, but unfortunately the daffodils that were to be my subject had still not grown high enough for the effect I was after. Undeterred, I pressed on and took a number of images of the soon-to-be-open buds from various angles.

Nothing much was coming together with frontal or side lighting (the former rarely a good idea) until I pointed the lens into the light and photographed them back lit. This approach allowed the translucency of the folded petals to create the picture.

During the session it snowed for the third time that I was aware of during the day. Merely light flurries, and nothing at all significant, but just a reminder that although spring is beginning to show its colours we are far from out of the woods as far as winter is concerned. Mind you, I have known it to snow in the area in mid-April on the Dorset coast, 1999 being the last occasion.



300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14E converter. 1/125 second at  f/11 - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 200. Monopod and remote release. Mirror lock-up.



© 2013

No comments: