Gallery

Monday, February 18, 2013

To simply wait...

Not my usual practice; to go out searching for subjects to photograph without a camera, but this morning I did just that. A reconnaissance mission, if you like. I am keeping a close eye on certain areas that I know will sooner or later produce dazzling displays of spring, and this seems to be the quickest way since I am working locally. Daffodils are nearly in bloom - there is the odd one or two in full flower - but it's the crocuses in a nearby park that are starting to put on a show.

I return to my chosen site at around mid-day, but since I will be photographing my subjects in shadow (either natural, or created by me) it worries me not. The real problem is the breeze that almost constantly moves the flowers. There are those that will restrain the blooms with wires or other gadgets available to avoid subject blur when using small apertures and slow shutter speeds (unavoidable), but I prefer to simply wait until the wind momentarily dies down to get the shot. It always does.



105mm f/2.8D Sigma macro lens. 1/8th second at f/16.  - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400. Tripod and remote release.



© 2013

No comments: